Re: [TCML] Looking for Pole Pig Capacitors

On 11/28/2011 2:45 PM, Amir Mojarradi wrote:
Roger,

I've seen your coil on YouTube many times, and It's awesome!
I may consider replicating your DC Resonant Charging System on my coil, although my pole pig is 14.4KV.

Amir

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Smith<rwsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Nov 27, 2011 6:00 am
Subject: Re: [TCML] Looking for Pole Pig Capacitors

On 11/25/2011 10:46 PM, Ln2guy42@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Roger,

I have a couple videos on my YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfQYHF6Z62c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqV0ux2Qd0Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Amir

On Nov 25, 2011, at 5:53 PM, Roger Smith<rwsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   wrote:

On 11/25/2011 5:53 PM, Amir Mojarradi wrote:
Hello everyone!

I recently destroyed a 0.03 uFd  35kv Maxwell capacitor (#37667) of which I
was using (4) in parallel to achieve 0.15 uFd at 35kv. I am running a 10kva
14.7kv pole pig powered coil with a 12in diameter, 57" winding length secondary,
and a 60in major/ 12in minor diameter toroid. The single capacitor cracked in
half and splashed oil for a good 8 feet. Evidently, my configuration was poorly
designed to handle the ~ 15 kv input. Apparently, people have had this issue
before and I was previously warned by David Rieben.
David suggested 2 of these Aerovox 0.305 uFd 50KV Capacitors in series, but
that would be a bit pricey given the shipping for about152 lbs! Yet, I am
considering them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aerovox-Tesla-50KV-High-Voltage-Aerostor-Pulse-Capacitor-/200679608603?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb96fd11b

Is anyone willing to sell pole pig suitable capacitors, either single unit
or several, for approximately a 0.15uFd  50KV + rated capacitor bank? I'm a
student and my budget is around $100-200 and I will of course pay for shipping
and handling; I live near Pasadena, California. Please let me know if you have
any comments or suggestions regarding possible capacitor choices; they will be
greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your kindness,

Amir Mojarradi

Those Aerovox capacitors sound like a good deal to me.   Im tempted to get a
couple myself but if I made my coil any more powerful I would have to take it
outside to run it.    Your set up sounds pretty awesome.  Do you have any
pictures?
Roger

Thanks Amir,   It looks like your coil is doing really well other than
the capacitor problem.     I'm running with  .08 uf  capacitance on my
coil.   Here is a link to a video of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWtp9UrAjk

Roger

Amir, Your 14.5 pole pig will work fine with a full wave rectifier and a filter capacitor. In the video you saw I was using a 7.2 KV pole pig with a voltage double but I am using a 19.5 KV pole pig now and a bigger toroid and I have a lot more output.

Roger