Re: [TCML] Why air-core?

I have a x-ray transformer that puts out around 40kv at 20kHz and about 2.5kVA.  This little monster is about 4.5 inches in diameter by four inches tall,  so it is conceivable that a TC could be made with a core of such material.  it would have to be a fairly long, skinny core and most likely immersed in oil to work, but if one designed a coil to operate at that low a frequency,  I don't see why it couldn't be done.
Mike

________________________________
From: Eric Goodchild <ericgoodchild@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 1, 2011 8:22 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Why air-core?

On 10/1/2011 7:16 PM, Gary Lau wrote:
> I was asked a fundamental question about Tesla coils recently.  I _think_ I
> knew the answer, but I'd like to check.
>
> A Tesla coils is strictly an air-core transformer.  I said that steel or
> ferrite cores are not used because:
> 1) Core saturation would be likely
> 2) The conductive core would degrade the high voltage standoff capability
> 3) The coupling with a cored design would be too high
>
> Did I get it right?
>
> Thanks, Gary Lau
> MA, USA
I strongly agree with 1, core saturation would defiantly be a problem, particularly with a DRSSTC. At hundreds of amps peak you would need an air gap so big you may as well call it air core... This is how I figure it.

Another thing I may add to that list  is that the size of the core would likely be massive if you could manage to get it to not saturate. A core of this size would be very unwieldy and heavy.

2 and 3 almost make logical sense to me.

Eric