From: Gary Lau [mailto:glau1024@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2011 9:17 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: [TCML] Why air-core?

I was asked a fundamental question about Tesla coils recently.  I _think_ I
knew the answer, but I'd like to check.

A Tesla coils is strictly an air-core transformer.  I said that steel or
ferrite cores are not used because:
1) Core saturation would be likely
2) The conductive core would degrade the high voltage standoff capability
3) The coupling with a cored design would be too high

Did I get it right?

Thanks, Gary Lau
MA, USA