[TCML] Air cored inductor for DC tesla coil?

I realized that I forgot to link my picture .

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/JHowson/Randoim%20junk/300269_10150782185525006_813700005_20081047_2729287_n.jpg

Hello everyone,

I acquired 2 pretty large coils, I was wondering if they would be suitable for use in a DC coil.

Inner diameter is about 3.5" outer is about 8"
the coil it self is split into 13 smaller coils, each wound with a little air gap between the next. I assume that this was for air cooling. Gauge looks like its 26 or 28.

I was thinking that they could be either series or parallel connected and submerged in oil, Giving me a nice ballast inductor for a future DC coil.

What do you all think?

Thanks,
John "Jay" Howson IV

"Why thank you, I will be happy to take those electrons off you hands."