Re: [TCML] How reliable will this coil setup be?

Jim,

If your strike rail is getting hot enough to melt its supports, it must be a continuous loop. That would act as a shorted turn, and be a huge power drain on the coil. A proper strike ring should not heat up at all in normal operation.

There needs to be a small gap in the ring, perhaps 1/2" to 1". If you gap the strike ring, you should see a dramatic improvement in the performance of the coil.

Another issue is that you have the caps installed directly touching each other. You might want to leave a 1/4" gap between them, as the dielectric breakdown value of the insulation of the outer is not especially high. See if any of your failed caps have arced between caps.

Dave