Re: [TCML] quick. what capacitance for dual mot?

James,

I have built a few MOT coils. The ones I like best have no doubler and just
run raw AC from two series MOTs, or just one MOT and a doubler (you need WAY
high voltage rating on the diode for this doubler - I use 30 1n4007 diodes
in series and this works well). You definitely want to use an MMC approach
(I wouldn't touch ebay caps, unless they are brand new 942C series CDE caps,
for an MMC). For the capacitance you are going to want as much as you can
afford, with at least 5 caps in series (10 kV rating for each string,
probably more if not using the tried and true 942's). I use 180 nF on my big
MOT coil, 95 nF on my little coil (not 942's), and have tried various other
combos for other coils - but bigger is always better for these low voltage
coils, at least up to 200 nF and probably more (around 150 nF is a good
compromise for price though).

The only big caveat here is this: pay a _LOT_ of attention to your spark
gap. Async rotary gaps work well, especially with tungsten carbide cutting
inserts as electrodes. Brass and copper work ok too, but you will have to
adjust your gap spacing more often (it needs to be about 1 mm or
thereabouts). The only other two types of spark gap that have worked for me
is a single airblast gap (w/ 35 psi paint sprayer compressor), and more
recently a hyperbaric single gap with a vacuum cleaner motor/blower and 3/4"
copper pipe fittings inside a length of 4" PVC pipe (easiest design for tool
starved individuals).

Good luck,
Jason