Re: [TCML] sync. motor

 Bob,

I think it should sync-lock the way you did it.  I usually make
the flats about 1/4 the diameter of the armature or so but in any case
it shouldn't be that critical.

Some folks use the "dead pole" concept but I've never bothered with that.

I assume you tried using a 140 volt step-up type variac to see if that
helps.  If you have a super-heavy rotary gap rotor with electrodes,
attached to the motor shaft, that might be creating too much wind
friction and preventing sync?  I assume you tried it without a rotor
however.

You could try feeding it with maybe 150 volts just as a quick test
to see if it syncs?

A capacitor-start induction motor should be fine for this application.

Could it be a 208V or 240V motor, but you're using 120V?  I assume
that's unlikely but I figured I'd mention it because I can't think of any
reason the modification would not work.  It's a mystery to me.

Cheers,
John