RE: [TCML] tcs as musical instruments...

Jim,

First of all, if you're going to do any work with Tesla coils, particularly
high powered ones, I cannot stress the importance of understanding a
phenomenon known as "Step Potential". Ignoring this concept can and will
cause serious burns and death. I know of two colleagues working in EHV
(Extra High Voltage <500kv>) switch yards who are no longer with us because
they didn't (or weren't aware) of this danger. By the way, both fatalities
occurred on line that were de-energized. This phenomenon is also known as
induction.

The shark suit worn by those performing high voltage shows acts like a
faraday cage causing the voltage drop within the suit to be near zero.

There is no way anyone wearing one of these suits can possibly play a guitar
and fret the notes properly. That being said, what you are seeing is a
"Nilli Manilli" impersonation....the music is really a recording. Pick up a
guitar sometime and try it; then throw on a pair of gardening gloves and see
how well you do.

Do not take what you see for granted, or you might be sorry. I cannot stress
safety enough.

Let me give you an example:

When I play my guitar through the coil, the guitar is grounded, as is all my
equipment. I am obviously touching the guitar strings, which are also
grounded through the amp. If I get too close to the coil (usually less than
six feet on smaller coils), I get knocked on my ass due to "Step Charge".
When the coil is operating, my body is somewhere between the coils full
potential and ground....not a good situation, indeed! Notice that the
coil(s) are always at a distance from the performer.

Please study and understand this; We want you around for the next
performance. There is a right and wrong way to do things...we just make the
right way look real easy sometimes.

Hope this info gives you some insight.

Be safe,

Hank