Re: [TCML] Tuning the primary

Hi---

It is as you say--as you use more and more turns, at some point you will go through resonance which will be the maximum spark. You can also add more capacitance to achieve resonance at some turn on the existing primary.

---Carl

I have built 2 tesla coils already and will be building a third soon, but would like a little advice before pushing ahead. I am building a simple spark gap pancake style coil. In my limited experience I have noticed that when "tuning" the primary on a coil the more material in the primary I electrically connected to, the larger the sparks get. At one point I ran out of coil and couldn't make it any larger. My question is if I built this coil with a really large primary coil, and I tune it by using more and more of the primary, is there a point when I stop getting larger sparks? And if I pass this point will my sparks start getting smaller or will they stay the same? Can anyone shed some light on this?

I have noticed something similar with the amount of capacitors I have in the circuit. The more I add, the larger the sparks got. Until I ran out of capacitors. Can you install too many capacitors? What happens if you do?

Any help is appreciated.