From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, Apr 12, 2012 8:18 am
Subject: Re: [TCML] Secondary Damage (Large Coil)

Hi Amir,

The insulation between turns has been damaged, possibly by a strike to
the winding, an arc-over from the primary to the lower part of the
secondary, or by handling. Strikes to the secondary can be quite
damaging on larger coils such as yours. At the very least you'll need to
remove the windings around the affected areas, or remove the bottom
portion of the winding since the coil form may now also be carbonized
underneath.

Once the winding has been removed from the affected areas, scrape/sand
away any traces of carbonization from the form before applying new wire.
Once you have repaired the winding, you may also want to consider
applying a thick 2-part polyester or epoxy coating over the winding.
This will protect it mechanically as well as helping to prevent any
future damage if you get another strike to the secondary. The strike
will harmlessly spread out along the surface of the coating instead of
destroying the insulation/wire at a single concentrated point.

Bert
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering