Re: [TCML] MOT xformer as a mag amp

Another name for what you are talking about is a Saturable Reactor.
They were used in the early days of radio to voice modulate large HF
alternators that were set up for radio transmission, as well as many other
things.
I am actually half way through building one right now, for a client that
wants their 15kw Spark gap tesla coil (also builing for them), to be sound
triggered by an audio feed.
It wont reproduce the audio frequencies of course, but merely turn on and
off with the beat etc.
The audio will be fed into an Amplifier which will in turn drive the DC
winding on the reactor core (choke).

So to answer your question, if it is designed properly, it should work
quite well.
Let us know how you get on...

Carlos

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 10:55:51 -0500, Jeff Miller <jeffmill2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Has anyone ever tried to use mot as a mag amp. Most mot tc's use an mot
in
> series with the sec. Shorted for I  limiting the output mot xformer.
What