[TCML] 10 amp ballast

Greetings all,
Wondering if anyone has any "instructions" of sorts for a good 10 amp 240V ballast that will last long runs. I know 10 amp seems kind of small for a power supply needing ballasting, but my idea is to stack four of them in parallel to A. dissipate heat better, and B. to allow for some variable power in the stead of a variac... I was thinking the welding rod approach, maybe a 1.5 inch PVC pipe, 2 feet long wrapped with x turns of 14 AWG... Just not sure ballpark how many turns to use, of how much heat that will generate, hence what kind of cooling I will need for say 10 minute runs. Input is appreciated!

Scott Bogard.