Re: [TCML] Tesla Museum discussion

On 8/23/12 10:16 PM, Joe Mastroianni wrote:
As I remember from reading about the property when it went up for
sale a couple years ago, there were many issues beyond just ownership
of the land.  I was considering the same thing suggested here - that
one would have to raise about $1M and with matching funds from the
state, one Tesla laboratory site + buildings could be owned.
Figuring that $1M is the price of a 3 bedroom house in some parts of
silicon valley, it seemed it might be easy to drum up that kind of
dough.

However - If I'm remembering correctly, Agfa had a plant on the
property for years, and it was designated a superfund site.  So not
only will the owner have to worry about refurbishing the buildings
and surroundings, but will also have to handle treatment of the
grounds which are apparently rife with chemical waste.  Fixing that
problem will undoubtedly cost many times the purchase price of the
land.

Superfund, as the name implies, is a fund to pay for remediation of such sites. So the new owner shouldn't be on the hook. Agfa (and all others who have paid into the fund) basically are. Cribbing from Wikipedia:The law authorized the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to identify parties responsible for contamination of sites and compel the parties to clean up the sites. Where responsible parties cannot be found, the Agency is authorized to clean up sites itself, using a special trust fund.

It kind of depends on what the actual contamination problem is, also. For all we know the man himself dumped stuff..