Re: [TCML] Tuning SSTC to avoid losing oscillation when I try and draw discharge

Hi Andreas,

The class E design, such as my old one here:

http://stevehv.4hv.org/classEsstc.htm

does exploit resonance on the primary side.  The tuning of the
primary, however, does not strictly have to match the tuning on the
secondary side.  If the primary tuning is "off" then the voltage
waveform across the mosfet/IGBT will be non-ideal (there will be some
energy left in the tank capacitor at turn ON for each cycle).  The
frequency that the system oscillates at is determined by the secondary
coil's frequency, which does depend on the primary tuning to some
extent.

For a "typical" SSTC driven by a half or full bridge, the capacitor on
the primary side is only for blocking DC, which would not contribute
to the tesla coils power output (but would contribute to heating the
silicon in the bridge!).  This capacitor is often ~10X bigger than a
resonantly sized capacitor so that its AC reactance is insignificant.

Steve