Re: [TCML] Never Work With Children, Chemicals or Tesla Coils

On 12/27/12 7:17 AM, Colin Tregenza Dancer wrote:
For my sins I provided the coil and Jacob's ladder were mine.  I've known Pete (the lecturer) for 25+ years and when he wanted lightning he knew I'd be pleased to help.

You are certainly following in famous footsteps...

I wonder what Nikola himself used when he did his demo on Feb 3&4, 1892

http://www.teslauniverse.com/nikola-tesla-article-tesla-at-the-royal-institution

And, given that electrical appliances were pretty rare in 1892, I'll bet he didn't have problems with video cameras, and theatrical light controllers.

He too used an oil insulated transformer:
"Mr. Tesla said the transformer used by him was provided with oil insulation, the exterior of the primary coil being about one-quarter inch less in diameter than that of the internal diameter of the tube upon which the secondary was wound, and the annular space filled with oil."

and it looks like he was running at 100 kHz
"...alternations amounting to the almost inconceivable number of 100,000 per second are, according to Mr. Tesla, essential."

ALso reported earlier at
http://www.teslauniverse.com/nikola-tesla-article-mr-tesla-before-the-london-institution-of-electical-engineers-and-the-royal-institution

I wonder if the "induction coil" referred to in the following passage is the air core transformer we are all familiar with, or the more conventional induction coil with an iron core (the Model T ignition coil, for instance).

"He showed first an induction coil operated by condenser discharge. With this coil he produced various remarkable discharge phenomena. Among others he imitated the spark of a Holtz machine and showed a brush discharge covering an area of something like 4 or 5 square feet, and also a luminous wire outlining the name of William Thomson. "