Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2012 10:26 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: [TCML] More Newbies Questions - grounding and earthing

G'day coilers,

I found a 240V mains - 12 KV 30 mA NST. (F.A.R.T.) The high voltage midpoint is tied to Mains Protective Earth. I presume that the Mains Protective Earth is NOT to be connected, but should be on RF Ground? Is this correct?

Despite all warnings against homemade capacitors, I made up two tank caps out of overhead transparency foil and Aluminium foil. I immersed them in mineral oil. Both appear to be working; at the moment. Each has 35 nF and these are wired in series to give the 17.5 nF required. Question Should I connect the midpoint of the two capacitors also to RF Ground?

With any HV transformer that has the HV midpoint earthed, should I generally connect the midpoints of the terry filter, main caps
etc. also to to RF Ground or should I leave them 'floating'?

Thanks

Peter