Re: [TCML] Displaying Tesla Coil in Shopping Mall

On 2/13/12 8:41 AM, Jim wrote:
Hello Friends,

I hope 2012 is finding you well.

There is a Makers Fair in my town at the local mall and I have been
asked to display my Tesla coil. Could you guys give me some guidelines
and answer some questions about this project?

1) Are there some safety issues that I have to be concerned about? The
coil uses 2 - 9000-volt neon sign transformers, pulls 540-watts and puts
out about 30 streamers.

You need a deadman switch that shuts things down instantly when you take your finger off the button.

You need a *positive* way to make sure that when you turn it off, nobody else can turn it on behind your back. One of those safety locks for power tool cords would work.

2) Right now I am using a ground rod underneath the coil for coil
grounding. This will not be possible at the mall. Is there a recommended
method for grounding my coil?

Counterpoise of some form of conductive mesh. Easiest way is to attach window screen/chickenwire/hardware cloth to carpet or thin plywood (lauan door skins are popular). That way you can just roll or lay it out.

A rule of thumb, is that the radius of the counterpoise should be equal to the height of the topload above it (so if you have a 4 foot high coil sitting on a 3 foot table, you're looking at a radius of 7 ft minimum)... Not a hard and fast guideline, but a starting point.

3) Last but not least, should I get some insurance and sign some kind of
agreement with the mall owners?

That depends.. do you have any assets?
People can sue for the darndest things, even if there's little or no possibility of them collecting.

You can go bare, and if you're "judgement proof" no lawyer will take their claim on contingency.

The best situation would be for you to get cover from some umbrella organization, like whoever is organizing the event. A significant fraction of the cost of this kind of insurance is the "per policy" paperwork.

--

You can put up all the disclaimers and warnings you want and it really doesn't make much difference to whether anyone will sue. In fact, some folks maintain that putting up the warnings actually indicates that you knew it was dangerous.

I'd just put up some standard "High Voltage" signs, and establish a safe perimeter distance. You might also put up some "warning, high sound level" kinds of signs (because I'm sure your coil is loud)

Thanks a bunch. You guys helped me build this coil 5 - years ago. It has
been running greatly without a hitch for the last 5 - years without any
protection devices installed.

Best To All!!!

Jim