Re: [TCML] Ignition Coil Won't Spark from Mosfet but DOES spark By Hand??? HELP!?

Hi, Jim,

A 555 is pretty slow and doesn't have much current to suck charge out of a Mosfet gate. You might need to use a driver. There are many available for $2.00 or so. Also, the Mosfet should have a pretty high voltage rating since the ratio of an ignition coil is not that high, so a big pulse appears on the primary of the coil, and your fet could be limiting the pulse.

---Carl

Try an IGBT and snubber circuit in //. Maybe the mosfet you're using is
turning off too slowly, or is leaky at higher voltages.