Re: [TCML] Toroid Size

Hi Brandon,

You left out one very important detail - how much power are you
pushing through your coil?  Or, what is your power supply transformer?
 The toroid size needs to correlate with, roughly, how much power
you're running.  I've seen some rules of thumb suggesting that the
toroid width should be roughly the same as the winding length, but I
don't see why that should matter.  I do agree that aesthetically, the
toroid should be about as wide as the coil is high.  But I've gotten
longer sparks by going significantly bigger still.  It may be that
economics may be the limiting factor!

My experience is that a bigger toroid has always resulted in longer
sparks.  I'm sure that it's possible to go too big, but I haven't been
there yet!

FWIW, my 15/60 NST coil uses a 7" x 30" toroid, plus a  4.5" x 15.5"
toroid for corona control.  The toroid just looks too big, but it
works well, as long as I use a breakout bump.  And my 4/20 mini coil
uses a 3.5" x 10.75" toroid.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA