Re: [TCML] Pulse capacitors

On 2/21/12 3:54 AM, robert massa wrote:
  John J,
    Would be interested, especially if we could get a deep discount on Maxwell. The discounts on bulk CD was negligible a couple of years back when I was looking and orders had to be in the thousands. Things change, power sources increase. When considering the caps were the largest cash expense, I'd be interested in saving on next coil.
                                                     Bob Massa

My chats with Maxwell (now GA) about this kind of thing (granted more than 5-6 years ago) would not lead me to be very positive.

And, when I was looking into quantity buys, it's not til you get up into the quantity of hundreds (with an S) that you get any significant discount.

Buying 10 might get you a few percent, but if by deep discount you mean 50%, I don't think you'll ever get there, even if bought in lots of 1000 units.

They just don't have that much profit built into the system, because the product is a sort of niche, custom device. They make their slow and steady 10-15 percent on each unit out the door.

Where a large purchase would make a difference is if you were a government or large contractor requiring a pile of paperwork. The paperwork only needs to be done once per lot, so the cost of it can be spread out across the whole lot.

Tesla coilers don't need the paperwork, but then, it was never in the purchase price to begin with.

They (like Condensor Products, etc.) have serious concerns about liability and hassles selling to "non-professionals".