Re: [TCML] poor preformance

Sounds like your frequency is too high, by a factor of about two.  You could
     a)  cut off the top half of your secondary (bad plan)
     b)  double your primary capacitor (much better plan).

My first coil was a tube type from plans I ordered from PS magazine. The secondary was 1 1/4" diameter and about 30 inches high. I got a 1" spark from the top, no spark at the 2/3 point, and 1 1/2 " spark at the 1/3 height point. In this case I should have sawed off the top 2/3 of my secondary, although tripling the pri cap would have been a big help. Alas, my knowledge at the time was not up to such a decision. When people publish plans they should try them out first.

If you had a very high secondary, you would notice several maxima and minima as the voltage distribution is sinusoidal. You want only the first quarter of the sine.

---Carl

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas how I can go about looking for performance issues.

Currently, I get a very weak and faint spark off my top load of less than 1/4", but I can draw 4" sparks of the middle of the middle of the secondary.

The coil specs are as follows:
7Kv5 NST @ 30ma
630pF main cap
Static spark gap