Re: [TCML] Bearings

On 2/28/12 11:16 PM, jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello all,

I bought some bearings on eBay for my rotary gap, and I am displeased with the quality I received, they are very loose. Made by VXB if you are wondering.
Its most certainly an I got what I paid for situation.

Does anyone have a preferred place to get quality bearings, I don't need super high quality, but quality within a reasonable price range.
I am looking for 1.75" OD .75" ID with a flanged rim designed for a press fit.

McMaster-Carr is usually my first step for something like this. Not necessarily the cheapest, but they have an enormous stock and ship very quickly.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ball-and-roller-bearings/=ggilxd

looks like about $10 for what you're looking for.

Beyond that, something like Grainger or MSD would be other possibilities.

By the way, when you say "loose", maybe the bearing was intended to be that way. Bearings come in a bewildering variety for different loads, speeds, etc.

I would look at a good bearing catalog (Fafnir, Timken, SKF) and get some background info on what kind of bearing you really want.