Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil with Mesh as Ground

On 2/28/12 8:13 PM, Matt Siri wrote:
I'm not sure if surface area is as much a factor as mass.  More mass
= more atoms that can take on more electrons and give electrons.

nope.. all about surface area. To take a trivial example, a solid sphere and a hollow sphere of the same size can hold the exact same maximum charge and have the same capacitance.

Gauss's law and all that.

 I'd
say it's a combination of both, but mass seems more immediately
relevant.  I've run my maggie (1.6kW) at my school a few times now.
The first couple of times, I used an old (and rather large) arbor
press.  The last time (at a talent show), I threw a 3in*3in*~5ft
steel bar that was laying around in the metal storeroom on a metal
cart.  If you spread a bunch of chicken wire out, you're liable to
have an arc pass from it to a conductor under the floor or somewhere
else.

Not if the chicken wire is connected to the "cold" end of the secondary (RF ground point). The arc won't go through.

 I once used a large steel cart as a ground; it sat on cement
and where the wheels touched, large amounts of corona were visible.
Be careful with isolated grounds, I accidentally touched the cart
during the talent show; no one could tell but it didn't feel very
good.  BTW, how long of arcs are you getting with 225VA?

Matt Siri

Awesome-Jordan<jordancole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:54 PM Subject: [TCML] Tesla Coil
with Mesh as Ground

I have to operate a tesla coil in a gym for a demonstration, how much
chicken wire should i use for a proper ground?

Coil is powered by 9000v 25ma NST, secondary is 3.5" by 18" and
topload is about 37.5" off the ground.