Re: [TCML] Support brackets for a flat spiral primary - right tool for the job?

On 1/2/12 8:13 PM, Brian Hall wrote:

Today I 'machined' the bracket supports for what will be my 1/4"
copper tubing flat spiral primary on my mid-size Tesla coil. I
documented the process here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1hKE2Ms-tk

And I am curious - what other approaches have been used to milling
the material?  I know that two tools now on my wish list are a drill
press and a jigsaw/band saw/small table saw (that would have left
much less of a mess on the pieces and less re-drilling to get the
notch depths right)

table saw is what you want for this, to get long straight cuts. A band saw is hard to get real straight cuts, even with a fence. A jigsaw and a guide can do pretty well. You can also cut circles with the jigsaw.

It looks like I am going to end up using zip ties
in combination with these brackets, through the clear plexi top.  Or
do some folks just glue the copper tubing down? How do you cut this
insulating plastic cutting board-type material into long lengths and
with a smooth edge?