Re: [TCML] danger

Yup,

I second that. Some of the new generation of
DRSSTC coilers may not be "that" upset if pole
pigs become unavailable to coilers, but for us
die hard "old school SG coilers", it would still
be a big deal! And yes, I still cringe at some of
the youtube vids I see, too - like some ~ 13 year old
kid drawing arcs from an energized pole pig, with
what looks like about #18 THNN building wire
feeding its low voltage bushings, with the kid stand-
ing barefoot in wet grass! BTW, DRSSTCs, espe-
cially large systems, are every bit as dangerous as
their SG, pole pig driven counterparts, at least from
an electrical standpoint. The lack of a spark gap
assembly does remove most of the mechanical danger
aspect from the equation, but just because they are absent
of a very heavy HV transformer and large HV com-
mercial pulse caps, this does NOT make them any
less of a significant electrocution hazard. Just more portable ;^)
Carelessness (and/or a "know-it-all" attitude) is a surefire
way to court disaster in this hobby.

Keep it safe,
David

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Eldredge" <oklahomacoiler@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 3:20 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] danger

All

Easy! Bob isnt new to coiling, and his work is excellent. I too have seen
video and pic's on the internet that are scary, don't take everything
personaly. Just build it right, build it tight. Some plastics stress crack
easily around drilled holes and some solvents will cause plastics to
crack.  Build a neon powered coil before a pole pig version.  When someone
electricutes themselves, and the media gets wind of it, pole pigs won't be
available to the coiler anymore.  Commen sense, why take a chance when the
correct material will solve possible problems.  Just saying.

Kevin Eldredge
Coiling in Oklahoma, safely.