RE: [TCML] IGBT Dead Test

Here is how I do it:

1 .Connect an LED or other load in series with the collector (one end of the
load connected to the collector the other end connected to the power supply
positive) I use a 12 volt power supply.

2. Now connect the power supply negative to the emitter, I then touch the
gate with the power supply positive (I usually just use my finger) and see
if the IGBT comes on ( it may already be on when you do this depending on
the charge the gate had when it was disconnected the last time it was used).

3. touch the power supply negative to the gate with your finger and it
should go off.

I use a 12 Volt power supply and an LED for this test, I just tested four
CM600's and six CM300 bricks and all tested good. Just be careful for any
static charge your body has the gate can be destroyed by the static, so if
you use this method touch the positive power supply with you finger before
you touch the gate and then do the same with the negative when you turn it
off and you will be fine.

All you need is enough voltage to turn it on usually around 10 to 12 volts
should be enough.

Of course this don't check them under a real load but I have tested quite a
few this way and I have found a couple bad ones, there are other ways to do
it too but this is quick and reliable.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
--Brian