Re: [TCML] Metal ARSG disk?

In the early days of ham radio [pre 1922] metal rotors were the most common form used with high power spark gaps. Often the rotor was multi pole and cast from zinc and then machined. A phenoloic bushing in the center can provide insulation with the full tensile forces handled by the metal rim. If I were to build a rotary that's the construction I would use as it's most heat resistant and really pretty easy to machine unless you're going beyond the capacity of say a 12" lathe. think the same practice was followed for commercial installations way beyond 10 kW but kind of hard to tell from pictures. Some used an all metal construction and were mounted on an insulating base and belt driven.
Ed

Gary Lau wrote:

It would definitely be mechanically safer, but now you have the added
challenge of insulating the now-hot disk from the motor shaft.  I'm not
saying it can't be done, but should that insulation fail, it would be
_BAD_.  But then, folks have done dumber stuff and lived to tell.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA