Re: [TCML] Newbie questions

On 1/10/12 2:58 AM, Peter Sutter wrote:

I would like to use the microwave oven transformers, possibly two in
parallel with two voltage doublers, so I would get about
2000 * 1.41 * 4 = 11300 Volts peak and about 150 mA max current.

Do you mean two in series, each with a doubler?

In general, that's a better strategy (a quadrupler doesn't work as well)

The challenge is that one end of the MOT secondary is connected to the core, so seriesing them is tricky.

What you can do is make a sort of "super NST", but hooking the two MOTs in series, with the primaries opposite phase (easier to see in a diagram than describe in words) and the two cores connected together. You'll get two HV leads which are opposite phases, with a grounded centertap.

You could then rig up a pair of half wave voltage doublers on each side.

For now, I'd suggest starting with the NST and get it all working. Then, you can figure out how to use your MOTs and a doubler (because you'll have all sorts of other issues when you start running DC)