Re: [TCML] DC Coils

Hi bert,
The dc supply is from a 50kva 3phase transformer that gets rectified with
6 HV diodes to give 10kv dc.
The voltage gets doubled via the large inductor 4.5 henries...
I checked my diodes lats night incase some had failed and I wasn't getting
full voltage and all checked out ok.
After further tests, I do think the voltage is lower than it should be
accross the cap.
I stretched the spark gap out a bit and it struggled to jump it.
It is a rotary gap 2800rpm with 4 rotating electrodes and 1 set of
stationary ones so about 180bps from memory.
The gap is about 1.5-2mm each side so total of 4mm max. Even with the high
speed air from the gap I would have expected 20kv to eat it up, but it
behaves more like only a 10kv supply....  it jumps it, but if I open it too
much it starts to splutter.

carlos