Re: [TCML] GFI

HI Scott
I am sure this varies by design.  I have a Franceformer 15/30 that had GFI and a sort of intelligent processor that signaled various fault conditions.  The NST case was exactly the same as a non-GFI Franceformer 15/30.  A black rectangular box with insulated HV 1/4"x20 screw terminals at either side for the HV output, and 3 1/4"x20 screw terminals on one of the sides for the LV input.

The only visible difference was a hole in the case into which was pressed an LED.  Around the LED is a label that explains the various LED signals that indicate the fault conditions.

As with all the Franceformers I have, the top of the case is riveted on with small aluminum rivets.  I cut these and the top came off easily.   That exposed the internals, which consist primarily of the transformer itself potted in a black tar substance.  But in this case, there was a small cardboard barrier which held back the potting substance, creating an accessible air void in the case.  In this void they had pressed a circuit board which contained the GFI and the fault-detection-signal smarts.   It was obvious which wires headed to this thing came from the LV supply, and which went to the HV side of things.

I simply yanked out the board (and out with it came the signal LED), cut all the connections, spliced the ins and outs in a logical arrangement which I don't remember off hand.  And voila,
working NST with no GFI.  Makes me wish I had taken pictures with my iPhone along the way...but I didn't.

Cheers,
Joe