[TCML] voltage

Hi again guys,
  Thanks to you fellows who have responded to my letter of adopting a voltage standard for our Tesla coils.
  As usual, there are many ideas on how to measure the voltage in an inch of arc. No one seems to agree on this subject. Down through the years, I have read many statements from some very smart men and none of them could agree either. The facts are that measuring high voltage is not an exact science.
  I now find myself having to defend my statements on a voltage standard for all of us. If you reread my letter
you will find that my intent wasn't to state that 25KV was an exact science but just a voltage standard.
  Like it or not, those of us who have built Tesla coils are showmen to some degree. What point is there to building these fine machines if one couldn't show them off to family , friends, schools, ETC. In the process of displaying our fine contrivances, someone will invariably ask, how many volts the machine is producing.
  How do I answer this question?  Do i say, i'm not really sure?  Do i say, it depends who's book you read. Do i say, it depends on the math and formulas i use. None of this would have any meaning to them and i'm sure they would be disappointed in my answer.
  The 20 KV per inch of arc could be dead on or completely wrong but this is not the point. The point of my letter has been missed by most.
   I would much prefer to tell my audience that my coil is producing a million volts. How could they dispute this.  I still think that the 20 KV per inch would be a good number for the Goldman voltage standard.

                                                                                                           Bob