Re: [TCML] voltage

"Well you could lie to the audience and claim a million
volts. Anyone who does the back-of-envelope conservation
of energy arithmetic will the ludicrous exaggeration."
Not necessarily as that would be based on current as well. And indeed the current could be pretty low for all the audience member knows. Think VDG, super high voltage, super low current.
Now we all know better but...

Anyway,
I think we all have made these claims of million volt coils and the like at one point or another, and this is largely because at the time we did not know any better. Heck Tesla himself made such claims, and i have not seen any recorded evidence that demonstrated how he tested his voltages. But then again I have not really been looking.

My evolution on this matter was based on the BTC30 TC from information unlimited, it says 250Kv on the box, so that is what I based all my claims on for a time. (yes I know it pains me to say that I spent my allowance on that some years back, but hey it makes a great little demo coil and is still kickin after 10 years)
Then I learned a little and found some other parameters online from other reputable individuals coils and used those ratios to make my claims.
Now I have been estimating based on the graph that Java TC produces, and a little intuition.
When I build a tester and actually take measurements I will once again revise my claims.
That seems like the basic principle of science to me, you keep working on your theory as you get new information.

Now doing that would be lot easier especially to those new to coiling if we have some forms of standardized scientific method of estimation, but as I mentioned before putting some actual Tesla coil measurements behind it. Standards don't have to be some number that applies blankly to all situations. But could be sets of data that allow you to make your own estimations.
Some form of document that would allow people who don't have the technology to test, to at least make some form of educated guess based on a list of parameters and a document who's model could be improved upon with time as more data is accumulated. The end result being a series of graphs that correlate various parameters to overall voltage spark length etc.

I think this initiative to better our understanding on a particular subject would be something Mr. Goldman would be supportive of and would be proud to have his name attached to. But i wont go as far to say that it should be named after him.
Perhaps after analyzing the data in a few years it will be found that you can blankly apply 20kv per inch or whatever, who knows.
But until then, I will continue to estimate to the best of my ability with the tools I have at hand.

Thanks,
John "Jay" Howson IV

"Why thank you, I will be happy to take those electrons off your hands."