Re: [TCML] Voltage Question

On 1/27/12 1:35 PM, Paul Nicholson wrote:
I wrote:
 > To produce long streamers, really the coil just needs to
 > develop enough voltage to start the breakout, and then be
 > able to back that up with plenty of charge (ie a big toroid)
 > and enough power to keep the streamers hot and low resistance.
 > Therefore you're more likely to find a simple relationship
 > from input power * efficiency to arc length.

I wish I could justify this with some data, but measurements
have not yet been performed (as far as I know) on a TC.

Udo Lenz wrote:
 > ... it seems a bit extreme. I can't imagine an endlessly
 > growing streamer given infinte power but just a certain
 > voltage.

There'll be a voltage drop along the arc and at some point
the arc will reach sufficient length for the tip not to have
a local field strength high enough to make further extension.

I would suggest that what you probably want is a waveform that rises quickly to start the breakout, then gradually increases to keep the current flowing and to keep the voltage at the end of the channel high enough to continue extending.

As the spark gets longer, the required current to keep the channel hot will also increase (on the assumption that the spark channel is probably somewhat tapered along it's length)

So this is probably a RF frequency optimization thing.. A sinewave, after all, does rise fast and then flatten out somewhat.