Re: Re: [TCML] Voltage - Flame

On 16:59, Paul Nicholson wrote:

Conversely the toroid is a good shape for throwing long
arcs because we can increase the capacitance (major diam)
while leaving the breakout voltage fixed (minor diam).
With the two diameters to play with, we have to some extent
independent control of the two factors.
Just a note: If the major diameter is increased with the minor diameter fixed the capacitance increases, but the breakout voltage doesn't remain the same, but increases too. For example, a set of ideal toroids with constant minor diameter of 0.1 m and major diameter varying from 0.3 m to 1 m result in (assuming breakout at 30 kV/cm):

Size        Cap (pF) Vbrk (kV)
 0.3x0.1  13.528     282.95
 0.4x0.1  17.200     328.91
 0.5x0.1  20.738     367.50