Re: [TCML] Voltage - Flame

James Zimmerschied wrote:
> I believe stating a person's idea is " b.s." using
> their initials as a pun is not professional and degrades
> the idea of a techincal forum.

I take your point and with hindsight I agree, you're right.

I hope Bob will accept this as an apology.  I still think
his proposal is a bad idea but my cheap attempt at humour
was uncalled for.

Trying to be more positive, a 33kV/cm rule can be applied
to the primary gap to estimate the firing voltage.  From
this work out the 1/2 CV^2 bang energy in the primary cap.
Assume say 50% efficiency and calculate the top voltage
that the coil will try to reach (if it wasn't restrained
by the breakout load), then you might find with a big bang
it is heading for 1MV or more.

If we also know the minor diameter of the toroid, we can
estimate the breakout voltage.   The actual topvolts must
sit between these two values.   Then, when Bob has his
entertainer's hat on, he can say with justification - well,
it's at least so-much and maybe as high as such-and-such.

--
Paul Nicholson