From: Futuret <futuret@xxxxxxx>
To: tesla <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Jan 29, 2012 5:19 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] Voltage - Gap

Jay,

The arc probably jump forward and fires the gap before the
electrodes align.  Then the system probably runs out of energy
(if giving off robust toroid sparks), before the electrodes pull
away from each other.  Thus the rotary arc probably extinguishes
before there's any opportunity for stretching the arc.  Under
some conditions (small cap, small rotary, slow rotary, wide
electrodes, strong power supply), the gap may actually
"re-fire" while the electrodes are still aligned and this will
give inefficient operation as discussed in the past in a paper
by Peter Jamison (I don't have the reference available).

On-time is the quench-time... how long it takes until the gap
arc quenches.  It will always quench at a notch.  In an
efficient system, first notch quenching will occur.  In many
coils, quench occurs at the 2nd or 3rd notch.  This can
be calculated based on the tightness of coupling k, and
and duration (spacing) of the beats that result.

Cheers,
John