Re: [TCML] Smoke Detector Issues

On 1/29/12 4:41 PM, Derek, Extreme Electronics wrote:
Jim,
If it is a smoke detector that looks for ionised particles, Tesla coils
will set them off.. Its does exactly what it should when presented with
a large TC generated cloud of ionised particles.

Not unless the TC is in the room with the detector, and even then, I'd find it hard to believe that an ion from the TC would make it in.

I haven't found a cure for this other than wrapping them in tin foil
whilst the coil is in use. Of course the tin foil could be protecting
the electronics from EMF.. All I can say is it works.

Please remember though, this does render the smoke detector useless at
detecting smoke, you must remove the foil after the tesla coil use.

Derek