Re: [TCML] X-Ray Transformer Help

On 1/30/12 8:37 AM, Tim Flood wrote:
Need help on a possible off - topic subject. I now have a
Picker-Andrex portable x -ray mchine rated at 100Kv at 10 ma. max.
This unit is like non I've seen before.

The transformer and other components are contained in a 8 1/2" dia. x
29" vertical can. There is no oil inside, rather it is pressurized
with sulfur difluroride gas.

More likely, sulfur hexafluoride (SF6).
http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/sf6.htm

you might be able to buy some to replace it. It's fairly expensive (about $1000 for a 115lb cylinder... call it $10/lb) Lecture bottles hold about half a pound (250g) of liquid, which will vaporize quite nicely.

(for what it's worth, sf6 is pretty dense 6g/l, so half a pound is not a lot of cubic feet... maybe one or two cubic feet)

Or there are other gases that might work almost as well.

 The actual transformer is at the bottom.
Connected above are to brick-shaped capacitors. The first is rated at
.008 uf at 75KVDCW and a second cap 100 KVDCW. There is a D - shaped
transfomer at the very top, along with a few other components. The
final output is through a 5000 ohm resistor. All of this is supported
between two vertical rods.

I would like to use the transformer to supply power for a project,
but I don't know if I can simply use the transformer alone submersed
in oil. Or, should I use the assembly as designed? If I can use this
I'll have questions on ballast, etc.

If you can fill it with a suitable dielectric gas, it will work. Oil *might* work, but might not. it will screw up the cooling, and you might have voids that the oil won't fill, and the voids will be places where the E-field will be high and lead to breakdown.

Thank you in advance for any help. Please feel free to email me off -
list.