But in 10 years or more of buying stuff through eBay, over 200 transactions of all values between $1 and $20,000, I have had exactly one bad transaction.

Cheers,
Joe

On 7/11/2012 12:53 PM, Yurtle Turtle wrote:
I've bought more than one heavy item, where shipping costs were more than the item, so folks like me are out here.

________________________________
  From: Paul Brodie <paulb.brodie@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:48 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] TC parts for sale
I've been selling on eBay for several years now and you will be pleasantly
surprised to learn what you can sell, regardless of how heavy it is and
what the shipping charge is. I sold a VERY heavy telescope with a near $200
shipping charge and it sold fine. In fact, there is another scope on eBay
right now with a $200 shipping charge and people are bidding away.
So, do not just discount selling heavy items on eBay. As long as the
shipping charges don't push the prices to unreasonable amounts, things will
sell just fine. Keep in mind that as long as your starting price isn't
really high, it doesn't cost much at all to list on eBay. If your item
doesn't sell, all you have lost is is $0.50 or less.
Finally, shipping isn't nearly as expensive as you might think, especially
for items that weigh less than 70 lbs. For instance, a large Priority Mail
flat rate box, about 12" by 12" by 6", only costs about $15 to a maximum of
70 lbs.
Disclaimer, I do not have any relationships with either the USPS or eBay,
other than I sell things on eBay.
I hope this helps out.