Re: [TCML] MOT stack replaced with PT, performance gone

Hi Mark, Ted,
     That is interesting, and it sort of makes sense.  To say what Ted did
in simpler terms, even though the power supply (whether MOTs or a
PT) ratings should not matter, and even though the power supply
theoretically does not effect the resonate frequency, well, it does...  It
is a bit complex but think of the secondary of the power supply like an
inductor in parallel with the TC primary and tank cap, it won't effect Fres
of the TC secondary, but it will effect the primary tuning point.  This
principal is what is behind "resonate charging" of the tank cap.  And as
Ted said, MOTs usually have a high leakage inductance, so the Fres of the
primary at any given tap point will be more off from the theoretical value
than with the PT, which has lower leakage inductance, or maybe the other
way around...  Does that make sense?  If you scoped your primary before and
after you would probably see the same frequency with differant tap points
on differant transformers, due to the inductance of the transformers
themselves.  I never thought about it that way, good call Ted...  This also
solves a huge personal mystery for me, my best running coil ever ran at
like double the predicted turns of JavaTC, and it was a twin MOT coil with
no ballast, probably had huge leakage inductance being part of the tuning
factor.  Fascinating...

Scott Bogard.