[TCML] ID an unknown transfomer

I just acquired an unidentified coil type transformer on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150851693601?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_3173wt_934

I understand how to use it, but I don't know what it was made for. The only markings it has are "MADE IN U.S.A.". It's covered in black phenolic resin and generally resembles a car ignition coil, with two inputs (labeled + and - ) and a single high voltage output. There are two molded in attachment points. Is this perhaps an ignition coil for some long extinct model of car, or is it some kind of radio-related hardware? The seller deals in radio equipment, but he has no idea where this came from or when it was made.

I hooked this up to a dimmer switch/motor run capacitor combo and got really intense arcs.

Any ideas out there?

Paul