Re: [TCML] Ozone Generation

On 5/31/2012 4:00 PM, Dave Leddon wrote:
I have lingering pet odors in a room that I need to eliminate and research indicates that ozone might do the trick. I found hundreds of companies that sell or rent ozone generators for this purpose but it occurred to me that I might be able to use my large DRSTC to produce ozone in large quantities. For this application I assume that I need lots of little sparks rather than big power arcs so I'm looking for suggestions from the list. My idea was to place a large piece of copper window screen on top of the toroid extending beyond the radius of the toroid, or to eliminate the toroid altogether and just use the screen. Any ideas?

Dave

Dave, using a large DRSTC for an ozone generator would not be very practical. You can make a very effective ozone generator with a neon sign transformer, some window pane glass , aluminum foil and a small fan. Basically what you want to do is make a glass plate capacitor but leave about an 1/8 inch gap between one of the metal plates and the glass so air can get through and hook up the neon sign transformer to it. Another simple approach would be to make a wine bottle capacitor and use window screen as the outer plate instead of tin foil. The professional ozone generators use glass tubes with foil around the outside of the tube and a thin wire going though the center of the tube . A high voltage is applied between outer foil and the inner wire and oxygen or air is blown though the tube.

Back in the day (1950s-1960s) it was very common practice to use glass plate capacitors when building a Tesla coil and the capacitor would usually produce more ozone than the discharge from the secondary coil.

I could see building something like this just as an experiment to see what ozone smells like but I don't think I would want to have it running in my house all the time. An electronic air cleaner might be a better approach.

Roger