Re: [TCML] Calculating transformer output at lower voltages

On 6/8/12 2:07 PM, David Speck wrote:
I'll second the motion --

A few years ago, I spent an afternoon trying to figure out the windings
of a transformer for a bandsaw blade welder. I was using a good Fluke
DVM, and getting inconsistent results that were just all over the place.

When I put a 1000 ohm power resistor across the meter probes, all the
readings fell into place and sanity was restored. I've found now that
Fluke even makes a low impedance meter with an input impedance of only
3K ohms specifically for this purpose.

OH.. that might be it.. the huge inductance screws up the metering somehow (perhaps the autoranging?)