Re: [TCML] Lightning?

Hello group,
Altho slightly off topic I take it everyone here likes big sparks.Believe me being close to a lightning strike isn't my idea of fun.I have been too close to a strike twice in my lifetime and I believe the figure you are looking for is about 15 feet according to my experience.There are probably a lot of factors involved tho. The first time I had disconnected the coax from my CB radio and coiled it up on the wooden second story floor just above a ss sink on the first floor. The strike went through the floor hit the sink which I was standing beside,bounced off that and formed a ball that seemed to stop in the middle of our kitchen and then flew into a screen door where it exploded leaving a hole in the screen. All the while my hair stood on end and I felt little sparks all over my body.The other time I was outside and the main bolt hit a tree 25 feet away and a branch hit about 12-15 feet in front of me. That time the sparks came up thru my feet and gave me one heck of a shock but the worst part of it was the shrapnel from gravel that penetrated my skin. That really stung like I had just gotten attacked by a swarm of bees.Hope that helps with your research.. Binny

-----Original Message----- From: jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:58 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Lightning?

Thanks for the excellent answer Jim. I appreciate it!

I was unable to locate the strike zone today, no apparent damage anywhere on the house or in the surrounding foliage. So i guess it hit the ground of which none of the grass in the area appears to be dead, yet... If it did hit the ground I would really like to find the fulgerite, if it even exists in our soil, but i am not holding my breath for such a find.

I still think there is an estimated finite radius for a significant effect though, especially for a the singular pulse that lightning is. I mean you don't see stuff fairly far away exhibiting these effects of induced charging, via electric or magnetic effects. They both would have a localized area which would depend on the current and charge densities present during the strike.
But what the average size of that area is, i dont know.

Thanks,
John "Jay" Howson IV

"Why thank you, I will be happy to take those electrons off your hands."