RE: [TCML] tcs as musical instruments...

Has anyone come up with a DIY kit (board and parts) yet for this that isn't
INSANE in price?

-----Original Message-----
From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Bart B. Anderson
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 8:59 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] tcs as musical instruments...

Yeah Mike, good points indeed. But hey, it's not like Tesla Coils are trying
compete with speakers and such. The fact is it's just a fun thing to do midi
on DR. To like play some Zeppelin  on a Tesla Coil. Granted it's not
fidelity, but it's still cool to do it. And some songs come out awesome
where others really suffer. It just depends on the notes and frequencies.
Phils controller has a volume adjustment during midi that I find fabulous.
I've learned that more volume equates to more RF cycles and thus better
sound. One problem with that is more volume also means longer spark lengths
and in an environment where you have no more room, oops.. I covered up my
rafters with chicken RF grounded today.. well, basically it ended up as a
giant target.. sure rafters are now safe but spark formation is blah.....
Jeff Larson mentioned maybe just forming poly around the rafters and stuff..
I think I'll try that route...

Anyway, I tried to play some Jimmy Hendrix today with the rafter chicken
wire thing.. It kind of sucked, but hey... we learn by doing.....  not by
arm chair cowboy'ing Tesla Coils... this midi kind of sucked. One thing
about midi, the coil is at the mercy of the midi itself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JTw287YtAs&list=UUKTGJZAkKZlDLVS7g-9dIsg&ind
ex=1&feature=plcp
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JTw287YtAs&list=UUKTGJZAkKZlDLVS7g-9dIsg&in
dex=1&feature=plcp>

Take care,
Bart

On 3/31/2012 12:23 PM, Michael Twieg wrote:
> There's not a huge amount that can be done to change the tone produced
> by a DRSSTC.  The peak-to-RMS power ratio they put out is very high,
> giving a sound that has many strong harmonics.  This is especially bad
> at low tones but not so bad at high tones.  This phenomenon is
> determined by the physics of how arcs form and give rise to sound; the
> breakout of an arc will always be sudden and powerful, and there's no
> real way to soften it (I have to mention that Steve's QRSSTC designs
> do this somewhat, but so far the QRSSTC doesn't seem to be suitable to
> music due to it low rep rate).  Simply put, highly distorted sound is
> built into the physics of the DRSSTC.  And while polyphonics are
> possible (either using one large coil or several separate coils), the
> result will always be underwhelming because the combined output will be
polluted with tons of harmonics.