Re: [Bulk] [TCML] Variac ballancing chokes re-visited

Hi Michael,

The ascii art is pretty difficult to "decipher" and as Nicholas has
mentioned, the contextual integrity is usually altered in the trans-
fer process through plain text email.

Many large multi-stacked variacs come with paralleling chokes
already installed and from observing my 4-stack 1256Ds, it ap-
pears that there is one choke for every 2 varaics, since my 4-
stack has 2 chokes. I assume an odd-numbered stack would
have how ever many chokes that would correspond to its
nearest higher even number (a 3-stack would have 2 chokes,
a 5-stack 3 chokes, ect.)

It seems to recall there has been some discussion as to whe-
ther paralleling chokes are really even necessary in typical SG
Tesla coil application. In my earlier days of coiling, I recall
paralleling a couple of large variacs with no chokes (didn't
even know about them at that time) and I didn't notice any
problems. It seems that as long as the varaics are of identi-
cal make and ratings AND as long as it is insured that the
wipers are set in perfect alignment, there shouldn't really be
any need for the chokes. Of course, the addition of proper-
ly installed choke(s) certainly doesn't hurt anything, either.

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "MICHAEL HARDY" <mhardy4@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2012 9:59 PM
Subject: [Bulk] [TCML] Variac ballancing chokes re-visited

In my power control cabinet I have a 3 stack variac consisting of 3 X 520 V, 30 A units. I was using one homemade balancing choke made from a 10 A, 240 V variac core wound with 2 sets of 9 turns of #8 wire for balancing 2 of the 3 stack variacs. I now wish to use all 3 in the stack. I have made 2 more similar balancing chokes from burned out 10 A, 240 V cores. I have seen 2 schemes for wiring these. Here's a shot at an asci drawing of each.

A)      ________________________
       I         __              ___          I
       I        I    I            I      I         I
       UUUU        UUUU        UUUU
-------- -------- --------- The V1,V2, V3 are the variac wipers (outputs) _ -------- _ -------- _ ---------` I think this was done by Matt D. (bunnykiller)
V1  UUUU  V2  UUUU   V3 UUUU
               I_________I_________I
                            OUTPUT

B)

                                       V2
               --------------------    I        -------------------
V1_____ -------------------- __ I____ -------------------  _______  V3
               UUUU  UUUU            UUUU  UUUU
                         I                               I
                         I                               I
                         UUUU________UUUU
                                   OUTPUT

Are both methods equally effective or is one preferred over the other?

I would appreciate any comments,

Thanks