Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 4:59 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Secondary coil strikes

You shouldn't lower your toroid, because if it is less than about half
of the winding diameter away from the coil top, it will act as a shorted
turn and reduce your performance.  You can make a turn around the top of
the coil with 1/2 inch copper tubing right next to the wire, but leave a
break of 1/8 inch or so to avoid the shorted turn.  Connect this tubing
to the top of the secondary.  Hopefully this will stop arcing from the
top turns.

Good luck---

Carl