Re: [TCML] Secondary coil strikes

Hi Jeff,

If you were getting strikes from the top of your winding to the bottom, this sounds like "racing sparks". Racing sparks may occur as lower energy sparks between various portions of the secondary winding, or they may span the entire winding as a hot flashover. They are usually a sign that your primary:secondary coupling (k) is too high. Excessive coupling is often a problem when using an inverted conical primary. There can be other causes as well, These include using a bang size that is too large for your secondary's power handling capability, accumulated dust or debris on the secondary that abnormally increases the surface E-field, or using a toroid that has too large a minor diameter that doesn't break out on its own.

Reliable operation of a simple two-coil spark-gap coil also becomes more challenging as you approach a 3:1 spark length to coil length ratio, especially if your secondary also has comparatively small diameter. A coil that seemingly operated just fine with an NST bank may become overpowered when migrating to a distribution transformer. Pig-powered coils generally perform better, and more reliably, with larger-diameter secondaries. Longer-term, consider migrating to an 8 - 10" diameter secondary.

Near-term, try decreasing your coupling coefficient to prevent possible winding damage. Elevate the secondary (versus the primary) in increments of 1/4" until racing sparks stop. Also consider reducing bang size by either reducing spark-gap length or reducing your tank capacitance. Add a two-part coating (such as Envirotex Light) to increase voltage breakdown capability if your secondary winding is not already coated. Carefully inspect and clean your secondary with a dampened cloth and repair any damage. Coated coils often retain significant surface charges, making them powerful dust magnets after TC operation. When cleaning your secondary, remember to continually ground yourself to prevent charge building up on YOU. This will prevent you from getting bitten by a painful ESD event - a rite of passage for many coilers... :^)

Carefully watch the coil in a darkened area as you ramp up power/ Look carefully for any abnormal corona off the top portion of the secondary winding, the primary, primary tap, or strike ring. Fix these problems, if necessary, before running at full power. If your toroid pair is too high, you'll see corona from the top of your secondary winding. Adding a small copper or aluminum tubing corona ring at the top of the winding, lowering your existing toroids, or increasing the outer diameter of your larger toroid will eliminate this.

Good luck and safe coiling to you,

Bert

Jeff Miller wrote:
Where then should the ring be put  ? Right below the Toroid or right
above the top last turn . There is about a 2.5 inch tall area where
it could be put. Again the strike were from the top of the winding to
the bottom

Thanks ,JM