Re: [TCML] air core

Hi,
    With care you can create a coil with no former at all..

If you make a thick paper former and coat the out side with wax paper. Wind the coil onto the wax paper and coat with multiple layers of varnish until you have a really thick coating. Carefully fold the inner paper tube in on its self and remove from the coil. You now have a coil held together with only varnish.

I have made a couple of these, and I have seen no changes in properties from a coil wound in a more conventional way. The coils do look good on their own, but when you have added a top load and a primary, they look almost exactly the same as a regular coil.

I'm my opinion, not worth the extra hassle for a flimsy coil compared to using a more solid former.

    Derek