Re: [TCML] Advice for my first SGTC

-----Original Message-----
From: Atomic <atomicrox@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, Nov 20, 2012 12:32 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] Advice for my first SGTC

Hi Mark,

Thanks and congratualations on your great coil!
I haven't seem many dual MOTs without some sort of multiplier circuit but
if they do work as well as yours then I might dump the multiplier. What
kind of filter do you use?

I've bought a cheap LC meter from Ebay to help me measure the bottle caps.
Is there any specific kind of bottle I should avoid?

I might consider switching to 942C's later but I'd really like to make sure
it works and won't blow 200 bucks worth of caps.
Also still interested in knowing if those Russian caps will work - if they
do I'll certainly go for them. I've never heard of
Polyethyleneterephthalate foil caps before.

Cheers

Hi Atomic,
Yes, bottles with air bubbles in the glass will fail very quickly. Some people have reported better luck with clear glass bottles than with colored glass. This may depend on what the coloring agent is, or it may be just that it's easier to see bubbles in clear glass and avoid the bad ones to start with. Tesla himself used clear wine bottles. Some people swear by Corona brand beer bottles, claiming that a more uniform quality glass bottle is made in Mexico, but it may be just the name that gets them.
Matt D.